We all know there are so several diverse coaching strategies, instruction plans, and coaching personalities. Many gymnastics coaches productively get their gymnasts more powerful, but they do not automatically incorporate ample sport specific coaching into their programs. I have observed gymnasts reward from the standard strength exercise routines such as push ups, but when it arrives time to complete specific expertise the gymnast’s muscle groups are not always prepared, accustomed to the sequence of movements for the abilities, or sturdy ample in each and every situation necessary to securely comprehensive the ability.
Gymnasts truly need to have a selection of instruction to include activity certain training aside from standard energy conditioning in get to more carefully simulate the capabilities in our sport. For case in point, a lot of straight arm exercises this kind of as the front lateral raise, press handstand, or planche drills far more intently simulate gymnastics expertise than bent arm workout routines this kind of as the press up, bench push, or reverse dips.
Here is one straight arm exercise that has aided many gymnasts bolster their chest, shoulders, and back again muscles, turning out to be more powerful in two really critical motions. Considering that the gymnast usually have to be ready to open and close the shoulder angle in the course of skills on uneven bars, I have provided a really valuable physical exercise which incorporates both up and down movements. This one ought to help her understand to effectively transition from a single arm motion to the following with ease. Picture your gymnast executing a glide kip, solid handstand, distinct hip handstand. She will have to reverse shoulder movements a number of instances in this short time period of time. When you see the shoulder movements necessary to connect these skills you will see the motives I had for incorporating two exercises into 1 drill much more than a 10 years ago. This workout really alternates the motions of opening and then closing the shoulder angle.
Lie Down Forged/Kip Drill (Barbell / Firming Bar)
one. Spot your gymnast during this exercising. Give her entire guidelines ahead of she starts the exercising.
two. Location Up: Have your gymnast lie on her back in between two folded panel mats with her arms above her head. Her head must remain between the mats, but her fingers and wrists should go beyond the mats in get to let the bar to practically contact the floor following it is lifted more than head for total range of motion.
3. The folded mats have to be a few inches higher than your gymnast even though she is lying amongst them for safety causes. The bar need to be long adequate so that each finish can rest on the middle of a single of the mats. The bar will be lifted from and returned to the mats without having touching your gymnast. There must be enough clearance for your gymnast to slide in or out although the bar rests on the mats. Even though you will be spotting your gymnast, the mats will also help avert the bar from touching her. If one particular mat on every side is not high ample, you should use two folded mats on every single side. If the bar is introduced down also rapidly or falls, it must land on the mats, not your gymnast. This is a really safe exercising when the mentor and gymnast maintain basic safety in mind.
4. Once the mats are set up, place the bar on the mats and make confident it will not drop in between the mats or roll off.
5. Starting up Place: As soon as the mats and bar are in location, instruct your gymnast to sit in between the mats, slide her legs under the bar, and then lie down. She ought to position herself so that the bar is over her hips.
six. When positioned, enable your gymnast to grasp the bar and then straighten her arms. Instruct your gymnast to keep her arms straight, but not to lock them.
7. Be careful the bar does not change to an unsafe commencing position.
8. Following, instruct her to elevate the bar up toward ceiling and then towards the floor previously mentioned her head to simulate a cast to handstand movement with her higher physique.
9. Remind your gymnast to carry on to maintain the bar securely and then enable her to lift the bar off the flooring, towards ceiling yet again, and then lower it to the mat above her hips to simulate a kip with her upper physique.
ten. Let your gymnast to proceed with numerous repetitions if she is able. Inform her that it ought to be a constant movement when she is cozy.
11. Your gymnast will very likely want far more location lifting the bar from the mat (the initiation phase) which includes the shoulders (deltoids) than she will on the return stage which includes the again (latissimus) muscle tissues. Be geared up to place all phases of this physical exercise. You can have one mentor place every single part. To spot the elevate from the mat, kneel on a single of the mats to help your gymnast elevate off the mat. Kneel near her head to spot the lift from the ground. Make positive you can get to the bar, particularly when it is earlier mentioned your gymnast’s human body.
twelve. Begin with the lightest bar feasible, maybe even a broomstick to guarantee proper security and type. After accustomed to this workout, your gymnast can use weights on a barbell or a firming bar, but it must always count upon her strength and expertise. If you are utilizing a bar with no weights, you can wrap a thick towel around every single end to support avert your gymnast’s knuckles from touching the floor.
The next exercise is far more obvious. This 1 also assists the gymnast with specific gymnastics expertise since she will be in and out of a handstand. The Planche – Virtual Handstand – Planche Drill is a wonderful exercising for physique tightness, handle, upper entire body strength, and main toughness. This drill is an suitable physical exercise for gymnasts on so numerous levels, like these expected to complete the forged handstand and clear hip handstand on bars in the around foreseeable future.
1. Instruct your gymnast to stand with her again to a recognizing block or mat stack, place her arms on the floor, and then place one particular foot/ankle on the block. As soon as your gymnast has one particular foot/ankle on the block, she can then location her other foot/ankle up on the block.
2. Now your gymnast ought to be in an elevated press up position with her feet on the block. Your gymnast’s legs, hips, and chest ought to continue to be off the ground through this workout.
3. Now that your gymnast is in the elevated drive up situation, instruct her to move her palms nearer to the spotting block and her shoulders ahead in order to form a slight planche placement.
4. As soon as your gymnast is in the planche situation with her feet on the block, instruct her to squeeze her buttocks and then to pull her belly button in. You must see the lower part of your gymnast’s back elongate into the appropriate minimal back again place for a handstand (pelvic tilt).
five. After your gymnast has formed the correct condition with her lower entire body, instruct her to press down on the ground and pull in her chest concurrently. The part of your gymnast’s back between her shoulder blades should rise toward the ceiling. Your gymnast has just carried out a protraction / shoulder shrug in the planche push up situation. To assist educate the shoulder shrug touch the part of your gymnast’s back that is amongst her shoulder blades and inquire her to thrust up on your hand to form the rounded back again.
6. Instruct your gymnast to maintain that restricted condition all through the relaxation of the exercising.
7. To start the exercise, instruct your gymnast to carry one particular of her legs up toward the ceiling, but to hold her other foot/ankle on the block. Your gymnast’s physique, with the exception of the foot/ankle even now supported on the block should have moved as a single unit up to the solitary leg, or digital, handstand. The leg that is pointed toward the ceiling should be the a single forming the handstand condition together with the higher entire body.
8. Your gymnast’s shoulders, hips, and one ankle must be straight above her palms even though the other leg stays supported on the block. Notify your gymnast that her hips and shoulders should remain sq. with the block. Her buttocks ought to be beneath, tummy in, hip opened, chest in, and shoulders in a shrug/stretched place. Remaining sq. and restricted is not usually effortless for the gymnast.
9. When your gymnast is in the appropriate solitary leg, or virtual, handstand place she can get started the return motion by gradually lowering her totally free leg again to the block and shifting her shoulders a bit forward so she returns to the planche thrust up place. Your gymnast’s physique need to transfer as a single device to the starting up position. Instruct your gymnast to preserve her head in line with her spine, neither tucked in nor tilted back again.
10. Up coming, instruct your gymnast to return to the solitary leg, or virtual, handstand position by lifting her free leg back again up earlier mentioned her hips so that she is vertical, with the exception of her supported leg. She must also open up her armpits back up, and square her shoulders and hips with the block. Your gymnast need to provide her shoulders and head into alignment for the appropriate handstand condition again. Instruct your gymnast to appear at the floor just above her fingers for the planche and then at the block for the handstand.
eleven. When your gymnast understands the movement of the digital handstand to planche and again to the handstand, ask her to total a couple of repetitions ahead of halting if she is able.
12. Notify your gymnast not to planche as well much ahead until finally she builds power and gets very comfy so she does not collapse.
thirteen. You must also tell your gymnast to converse when she is fatigued so that you can enable her to relaxation. This exercise puts remarkable pressure on your gymnast’s wrists. You should enable her to relaxation when she communicates that her wrists are acquiring fatigued.
This workout, when carried out correctly, intently simulates the shoulder motions of the cast handstand and distinct hip handstand on uneven bars. You can use a ground bar as prolonged as the flooring bar is steady.
The continual modify in shoulder angle causes a change in the demand from customers on your gymnast’s upper entire body muscle groups. Your gymnast ought to create strength in a wide range of positions following executing this drill often and persistently more than the program of time.
As you can see, these workouts are so a lot various from drive ups simply because of the straight arm instruction which so intently simulates gymnastics capabilities. Your gymnast’s entire upper physique will be challenged with this physical exercise. If performed frequently and persistently this drill need to aid greatly with all round higher physique energy in addition to particular gymnastics skills.
Although https://jenerg.com/gymnastics-floor-music/ up and bench push are great workout routines, they do not actually simulate the gymnastics expertise of feminine gymnasts. Gymnastics expertise need to be simulated in a protected fashion in order to train a gymnast’s thoughts and entire body to carry out gymnastics expertise safely and proficiently.